The school was founded in 1994 in conjunction with Donghua University; directly subordinate to China’s Ministry of Education and the “211 Project”; and Raffles Design Institute, Singapore. Raffles Design Institute, Shanghai was the first nationally approved joint venture institutes in Shanghai. All programmes are carried out in English by academic staff from around the world. The academic team of Raffles Design Institute, Shanghai, hails from places like the US, UK, Australia, France, and Germany. After completing two years of studies in Raffles Design Institute, Shanghai, you may choose to pursue your bachelor’s degree in other colleges within Raffles’ Asia Pacific network.
|Courses||Advanced Diploma||Bachelor's Degree|
- For Design and Business programmes (2 years): High school graduate certificate or international equivalent.
- TOEFL – minimum 550* (paper based) or 213* (computer based); or
- IELTS – minimum 6.0*; or
- High School English Pass grade (minimum) in an English medium school; or
- International equivalent
*Test results achieved not more than 2 years ago.
Note: Applicants who do not meet the English Language requirements can take an English Placement test at Raffles. Candidates will have to score 85% and above on the oral and written tests to achieve exemption from the English Language Programme.
After studying at Raffles Design Institute, Shanghai for two years, applicants may pursue degree courses at other Raffles schools within the network, like in Sydney or Singapore.
- Letter of Acceptance for Admission into Raffles Design Institute, Shanghai (to be issued by RDI Shanghai)
- Copy of high school qualification
- Copy of passport
- Completed application form
- 12 2-inch passport photos and 1 3-inch photograph
- Copy of highest education qualifications
- Copy of personal identification card
- Copy of English proficiency results (TOEFL, IELTS, GCE ‘O’ Level, or High School English Test)
Note: Student visa would take 4-6 weeks to process.
Raffles Shanghai FAQ
We provide teaching assistant translation for the first half year of our programme to help students better understand and assimilate into the learning environment. Since all our classes are in English, we advise potential students to sign up for our Intensive English Program. You can ascertain your level for the Intensive English Program by sitting for our English Placement test before admissions.
Recently, our graduates have joined distinguished enterprises such as the following:
- Fashion design & fashion marketing: Cartier, Dunhill, HUGO BOSS, Dior, Ferragamo, PRADA, LOEWE, Swarovski, H & M, ZARA, ADIDAS, ELLE magazine, and SMG lifestyle channel.
- Graphic Design: Ogilvy, Leo Burnett, JWT, Mailman, Nike, and PSA Peugeot Citroen Group.
- Multimedia Design: Louis Vuitton, HP, Xinhua Finance, Singapore Magic silicon technology, Hyun action cartoon, Shanda, Sina, Jiuyou, and eBay.
- Interior Design: Shanghai East China Design Institute, Mu Hong Kong’s architectural design, Hai Woshi furniture, the whole building design, IKEA, Gucci, and B & Q.
- Business Administration: Standard Chartered Bank, HSBC, China Petrochemical, General Electric, Volkswagen, NOKIA, Siemens, LG, Samsung, and L’Oreal Group.